Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 7: Bellingham and Vancouver

I still feel like I am on a boat.  It might have something to do with only sleeping 2 hours last night.  It might also have something to do with having been on a boat for the last 4 days.  However, most of you don't know much about the boat yet.  Don't worry, you will!  I just have 4 days to write about and I want to sleep!  I was hoping these were going to get shorter but I don't see that happening.

So I awoke this morning at 7:30 am after having slept for about 2 hours.  My boat friends had wanted to stay up late since we kind of figured we will probably never actually see each other again. Sad, but probably true.  I wake up miserably and shower and put on some clothes and try to make myself not look I have been on a boat and been wearing the same pants for the last 4 days straight since I am going to the real world.  I probably failed in that mission.  I wander out on deck to call my mom.  We are now out of Canada and I won't get a million dollar phone bill now that I am back in the US.  I go outside and see the sun for the first time in days.  It was a rainy and cloudy trip. (not that that was unexpected)  It was even a sunrise and I never see those.  I thought the ferry was docking at 9.  Turns out I woke up earlier than I needed to since that did not account for the time change.  We actually docked at 10.  This was nice since it gave me some time to admire the ocean and wildlife and talk to random (and not so random anymore) people. I stand on the dock and watch the ferry get pulled in.  It was pretty impressive.

I then realize I need grab my stuff and should have been on the car deck 10 minutes ago getting loaded up.  I rush to the car deck and find my friends from the boat getting into their car.  We had planned to stop for breakfast before we go our separate ways.  I yell the name of a place that I had gotten from a friend of mine (Berit) that used to live in Bellinham to them.  "Just go to Skylark, it's close!" "Sky whatt???" "Skylark!" "Skypark?" "NO! Skylark! I have to get my shit in my truck and fast! Because I got distracted by the boat docking when I should have been down here!"  I am almost the last person off the boat.  I was one of the first ones on so that makes sense.  Despite no one's iPhone or GPS being able to figure out that we are no longer in Alaska, we all somehow end up at the right place.  We have a nice breakfast and talk about how fun the boat was and whatever.  Then it's time for all of us to get back to real life.  William and his Uncle John are headed back to California, Matt is off to pick up his friend and drive to Florida, Oceana is going to meet up with some family nearby, and I am going to Canada.

So I say goodbye and jump in my truck and take off.  I then realize that I want to see some of Bellingham and I am driving in an unfamiliar town with no destination and no idea how to find it if I did have one. I cruise through downtown and then part of the college campus before remembering a trail that Berit had suggested.  I pulled over since my voice command on my GPS was not cooperating and find trailhead on my map and head off that way.  I soon find myself in a very nice neighborhood.  I cruise around this neighborhood completely lost; my GPS says I should have reached my destination a while ago. I look up and see a deer standing in someone's front yard. I stop in the middle of the road and whip out my trusty iPhone and take some pictures.  I can't zoom so they aren't great but I was excited.  I mean I see moose all the time.  Who cares about seeing a moose anymore.  But a deer, now that is just shocking.  Amist the deer excitement, I decide a new plan of attack is needed to find a proper trail head. I find a map of the system on Google and successfully navigate to a legitimate looking place to park.

I have a really nice walk around the area.  There is a creek, lake, waterfall, and a few playgrounds.  The whole place is really pretty.  It just feels old and ancient.  The vegetation seems like something you should see dinosaurs walking around in.  There are also numerous structures that just look old.  Not a bad old (personally, I usually like nice new looking things myself) but a well seasoned ancient old with a good history behind it.  It is really peaceful.  There are a couple of cool bridges along the trail.  The coolest thing is a piece of an old wooden railroad bridge.  Don't worry, I have attached pictures!  At this point, it is about 2 and I realize that I am really tired and still need to drive to Vancouver.

I head back to T Rex and punch in the address of my hotel (before I start driving this time) and am excited to see I should be there in about 45 minutes. (This is not accounting for a line to get across the border or rush hour of course) I go along my merry way and am waiting at the stoplight to turn onto the highway when I forget to shift into first.  When the light changes, I stall (WTF, I am a better driver than that!).  I get the truck restarted before it even stops rolling from its momentum and head toward the highway.  I try to merge and the asshole who was behind me when I stalled is now driving in my blindspot, going just fast enough that I can't merge into the lane. Great.  My truck is twice the size of your car.  I really don't want to hurt it but if we run off the road, this isn't looking good for anyone, especially you. (if you believe the laws of physics would govern in a more or less ideal manner in this situation) So I cruise down the highway and call my mom before I cross the border. (My awesome GPS lets me make phone calls through it.  So it is all legal!!!)  I talk to her and I hit the customs check point before I know it. 

I sit in line for about 20 minutes to get through.  This is nothing like the ones coming into or out of Alaska.  Those had 2 lanes and probably saw a car every half hour if they are lucky this time of year.  The officers asked me the questions they had to but seemed friendly enough.  This checkpoint has 12 lanes and is full of cars.  (though it could have been much worse)  I scoot along, resenting my insistence upon purchasing a truck with a manual transmission.  I make it to the window and the officer just stares me down. "Identification," he says.  I hand him my passport.

"Where are you headed?" "Vancouver"

"Why?" "It's pretty and I want to ski...Well to be more specific, I came through here with my brother on my way to Whistler last year and wished I had more time to see the city itself" He looks slightly amused.

"Where do you live?" "Anchorage." 

"Where did you come from most recently?" "Belingham.  Actually, I just got in on the ferry." 

"Wait, the ferry this morning?" "Yes." 

"So, you just got down here and you are already leaving." "Ummmm.  Yes." (this isn't looking suspicious at all)

"Where else are you planning to go?"  "I am taking a road trip; I am traveling the West"

"Do you own the vehicle?"  "Yes."

"What is your profession?" "I'm a civil engineer-I just graduated!!!"

"Are you employed?" "Yes, by the State of Alaska. I work seasonally in construction." (I am used to this question by now they always ask why I am not working right now)

"How are you funding this trip?" "I saved money I made this summer."

"How much did you save?"  "3 grand-I am staying with lots of friends along the way." (Uhhh, excuse me? I guess it is legit, but still) He looks satasfied.

"Any drugs, alchohol, produce?" "Nope." 

"Planning to sell anything here?" "No...."

So he lets me go. About a mile down the road I remember that I had somehow ended up with someone's 2.5 oz bottle of Captain Morgan's from the ferry.  Shit. I totally forgot about that.  I guess that will need to be disposed of prior to my passing through customs again.  I continue on my way.  I find myself stopped on a very steep hill.  (like a, woah, is this grade even legal? kind of steep) The car behind me gets far too close for comfort.  I let up on the clutch and stomp on the gas and T Rex roars VVRRROOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!  Great.  Thanks.  I need help drawing attention to myself in my big black truck with a pink big dipper on it and a license plate that says T Rex. I get stared at by a bunch of high schoolers.  Hey, don't be jealous of my sweet truck you punk kids!

I find the location of my hotel. It is in the same giant building as a market.  I think this is pretty cool.  I then realize I need to park.  I pull a U turn and park in a tug boat repair facility.  I get out and follow the arrow to the hotel.  I walk into the market.  WTF?!?!?! I know the hotel is here somewhere.  I walk outside.  I walk around the very large building.  I admire the beautiful view across the water of the rest of downtown Vancouver (I am in Northern Vancouver)  I walk with purpose back to where I was thought the (nonexistent?!?) hotel entrance was.  I decide to try the elevators. I stop at every floor just to make sure I don't miss it.  Floor 3 is a win.  I walk in. I check in and I ask the desk lady about parking.  She responds with a very thick accent and a poorly labeled map. I get the general idea that there is a parking garage under the building and that I need to turn around to get to it.  I go back to the truck to park.

I pull yet another U turn and find a parking garage that looks about right. As I pull in, I do a double take to make sure I clear the ceiling. I do with inches to spare.  I conclude this place is not very truck friendly.  The corners are ridiculously tight, the spots are short, and when parked I have a few inches to spare on either side. (sorry T Rex, but the Beast would have done way better here.) All of the spots are labeled "reserved for IBEW"  and there are multiple levels to this garage.  I end up parking on a level that is the same height as the second floor of the market. (the hotel is on floors 3 and 4 of this place)  I think this is odd since she said something about the parking lot being below the building.  The entrance seemed in the right place though.... I unload an obscene amount of luggage considering I will be here for only 3 nights. (I packed all of my clothes for the entire trip in one bag.  And currently have an extra bag from the ferry trip that I need to deal with)  I walk a long way around the parking lot and into the building.  I then open the next set of doors which lead into the the middle of the market.  I wander through all the people and finally get to the elevator and make it to my room.  I go back to the desk to get the internet passcode and again ask about the parking.  (at this point, I just want something to eat and to sleep) "I'm really sorry ma'am, I just wanted to check about the parking again.  It doesn't seem right.  I am sorry this is so hard for me, I got 2 hours of sleep last night (completely my own choice and fault of course) and am just not getting it."  She smiles and explains again. 

I am in the wrong parking lot.  I take the elevator to the correct parking garage this time and walk out the entrance so I know where it is.  It is right next to the one I drove in.  They aren't even 5 feet apart.  So I walk to the truck and drive out of the parking lot.  I have to do yet another U turn to get back to the parking lot (Stupid medians) but it is now rush hour and there is way too much traffic for that kind of driving.  So I take the scenic route all over town before finally making my way back.  I finally get parked.  I stop by the market and get a smoothie and some dinner.  I also go to the ATM and get some Canadian money.  Hopefully I got enough so I will only be charged the international exchange fee thing once.  Twice at the worst if I underestimated how much I need. 

I take it back to my room and eat on the deck while admiring the Vancouver skyline.  I skype my mom, text some people who have iMessage (I don't want to use the network; I have to do it through the wireless)  This hotel is awesome.  The view is amazing.  I have a lot of entertainment (and food) very close by.  It has robes in the closet.  They will even do my laundry for me for a (hopefully) small fee. I don't need my laundry done that badly, but it is still cool. And the mattress is awesome.

So now it is time for some sleep (finally!).  I am going to do some skiing tomorrow! sorry these posts are so long. The skiing one should be shorter! (the ferry one will be horrible probably)

Anddd pictures!


Sunrise on the Ferry

The old train bridge





A rustic bridge along the trail




I always love waterfalls!




Cable-stay bridge in Vancouver!!!




Downtown Vancouver! from my room!

No comments:

Post a Comment