Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 13: Seattle (Ice Storm)

Today, the snow turned to ice.  I had little motivation to wander around and get iced on and freeze. So I was petty mellow.

I wake up mid morning and take my time making myself presentable.  I decide to call the Seattle Underground tour prior to walking down (and back up) several blocks of steep, icy hills.  Turns out they are closed.  I decide that I am in Seattle so dammit, I am going to at least leave the apartment.  I get online and start looking for Seattle attractions within walking distance.  (eh, may as well save on gas while I can.  The roads are pretty bad and Seattle drivers are scary.  I have no desire to risk my or T Rex's well being unnecessarily)  I remember that Seattle is home to tons of breweries.  I find one of Elysian Brewpubs is right up the street.  I visited the Pike brewing company last time I was in Seattle.  Elysian sounds like a good bet.  I know of their beer and their name is just cool.  I am totally the Greek and Roman theme.

About noon, I set off down the road.  I walk up the hill (not nearly as steep as the hill to get to the waterfront) for 8 blocks or so. I smell malts and it smells delicious.  Someone is brewing nearby! (thanks to my many friends who brew and have let me experience the process with them, I can identify this smell)  I find the brewery at the next block.  I walk in and sit at the bar.  The bartender is a very animated friendly guy.  Unfortunately, I am not feeling like being very talkative today so my experience is pretty mellow.  I order the beer sampler and a cheeseburger.  Both are awesome.  I take a look at their brewing vats and then head back through the ice and wind. 
Elysian beer sampler


I spend most of the afternoon reading.  Dana texts me and lets me know that the City of Seattle is advising people to stay indoors.  The ice is causing things like trees to fall over unexpectedly.  The ice itself is falling off of buildings too. 

Near 5, I am approaching the end of my book.  I decide that it might be in my best interest to head to my truck prior to nightfall if I want the next volume.  I head out.  I walk the 5 blocks to where I have parked my truck. (stopping at Starbucks for some hot chocolate on my way. I seriously think the Starbucks here is way better than in Anchorage for some reason)  I see that someone has marked my tires.  I have been there for a few days now and only paid for one.  I see no sign of a ticket anywhere so I decide to move it to street parking.  I spend the next 15 minutes uncovering my truck.  The ice has formed a crust over the 4 inches of snow.  I develop a new technique for snow removal: wack the icy layer with the sharp side of my ice scraper to break through the ice and then use the brush side to remove the snow in large chunks. My hands freeze but I eventually uncover T Rex.  I find a street parking spot right in front of the apartment.  (overnight parking is free and I am planning to leave in the morning)  I squeeze my truck in and go to unlock my bed cover to get my book.  The locks are always a pain, especially when cold.  I spend 5 minutes jiggling the key before I finally get them unlocked.  I return to the apartment victorious with my book.

Poor cold T Rex


I will be headed to Portland tomorrow and then on to Lake Tahoe.  I am not sure what my internet situation will be like sooo... until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment