Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 3: Haines

So I have no internet connection tonight but I don't want to leave you all hanging and I have time so I am using my spiffy phone app to update. So my capitalization and spelling might have some issues. I was correct in my thinking that Haines is beautiful. And it seems to be content with my being here. After all, I leave tonight.

So I am currently at the pioneer bar (which is empty because it is 5 on a Monday night) watching the Alabama v. LSU (I really do not care about football but being a supposed Alabama fan my whole life, I feel obligated to care a little) game and drinking the local Amber beer. (which isn't bad). Oh and i look like a total cool person staring at my phone and typing furiously. I am also wearing my "I am a southeast Alaskan" disguise. Which has yet to fool anyone. :(. So this is what I will be doing until I go to the ferry in a few hours. I will probably be MIA for a few days with no cell service and no internet.

Back to this morning. I wake up at 6 am. It would seem that in 2 days I have managed to train myself into waking up early. This is something I have been trying to do for years. But I manage to go back to sleep until 9. My hotel room is freezing and the bed covers are not exactly warm so I decide that the shower is the best place for me. I am excited because my quick glance out the window revealed that it might be a pretty day. So I shower and get ready to check out. I am having problems getting used to my new hair straightener and I do something weird to my bangs. Oh well, I am not trying to impress anyone anyway. I pack up all my stuff and check out. It is snowing like crazy. Again. I pack up my truck and drive around until I find somewhere to eat.

I find a place called "the Bamboo Room". I walk in and there is absolutely nothing about the place that makes me think of bamboo. However, the food is good once I find something on the menu they are not out of. It would seem their last shipment of food was a while ago since this is a common issue. I am the only person there and get my food quickly. Great, this was supposed to take at least an hour to kill time. I did have a conversation with the lady about going to engineering school in Alaska. Her son is thinking about doing it. So that killed an extra 10 minutes. She asks if I am catching the ferry later. Apparently I look like a tourist. She tells me that the library is a good place to hang out and they have WiFi. I see people walking around in xtratuffs. So I decide that I should put mine on to blend in better. I hate looking like a tourist.

I leave (wearing my disguise) and take off diving aimlessly. I find a really cool place to take a picture of Haines but it is snowing too hard for the picture to be worthwhile. I decide to go to the hammer museum, but it is closed for the season. So I go to the natural history museum and look at and read about Alaskan animals for a few hours. The lady there asks if I am catching the ferry tonight. Sad, my southeastern, I am not a tourist disguise is totally failing. Anyway, I walk outside and the weather is clearing! So I drive back to my picture spot and take some sweet pictures. I spend the next hour taking pictures of pretty things and wandering around on the beach. When I say "I like long walks on the beach", this is not what I have in mind. The stairs down to the beach are so icy and treacherous that I make my own path down to the beach. This results in me standing in thigh deep snow. Good thing I have my southeastern disguise on. My boots keep me mostly dry. And allow me to walk in the ocean almost like it is a warm beach! I check the time and it is not even 3 yet. The ferry does not even arrive until 8 and doesn't leave until 10:30. So I get some gas (since my gas light was on) and decide to drive the other way and see the sights. They are again beautiful. The sun sets a little after 4. The same time as I find another beach! Yes! Beach sunset shots. Unfortunately, the mountains block the best of the sunset.

It is now dark. So I decide to go to the library for some free WiFi. I walk in purposely and find myself a table. I set up my computer and there is no WiFi. I decide to ask the librarian and she explains the situation and ends with "welcome to Southeast Alaska". Great, not only do I not look like I am local, I don't even look like I am from the region. So I go back to my computer and purposely click away like that was my plan all along. At exactly 5, I leave. (the pioneer bar opens at 5).

This brings me to now! Roll Tide! And they are talking about the Honey Badger youtube video on the game. (one of my favorite viral videos).

Well my food will be here soon so I think I will end this!! I will update in a few days. :). And I hope I am not lrone to sea sickness :).

I cant put captions on my images so here they are: (they might be out of order... My phone has a mind if its own...Here is a matching game for you!! :]) o

1. Welcome to Haines!

2. Not my idea of a long walk on the beach

3. Well maintained stairs...

4. Main street!

5. Failed sunset picture :(



No comments:

Post a Comment