Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 19: Squaw Valley

I decided to mix things up today and check out a ski area on the North side of Lake Tahoe.  I am a little on the sore side and decided at half day would be quite sufficient, especially since My ski area of choice is Squaw Valley and my super awesome Epic Pass is not valid there.  I.e., I have to buy a lift ticket. 

Around 11, I set off on the road.  It takes about an hour to get to the other side of the lake.  I put the info in my GPS.  It tells me to take the route that someone had told me usually closes in the winter.  It is a lot faster than going the other way around the lake and my GPS has been pretty good about knowing when roads are closed and not telling me to go that way.  (never mind the "county roads" it wanted me to go on a few days ago) So I decide to trust it.  Luckily, it does not fail me. I arrive at Squaw Valley about 15 minutes before the half day starts.

I head to the ticket office.  Awesome, they have a "young adult" ticket option for ages 13 to 22.  It is about $20 cheaper than a normal ticket. I am glad I have not had my birthday yet.  I ask for it and they demand ID. So bars think I look too young to be 21 but you think I am too old to be 22...   I get a trail map and assess the mountain.  It is the second biggest mountain I have been to, behind Whistler/Blackcomb. I find a lift that goes to some blue runs. I put on my gear and end up on a different lift that is for "experts only".  I get to the top.  Oh shit, there is no easy way down. This is not the lift I meant to take.  I go for it, what else can I do?  I am not ready for this at all.  My form is awful, the hill is insanely steep, and the snow is really really wet.  It is probably about 45 degrees out.  My usual approach to steep hills proves to be ineffective in the heavy snow.  I fall over.  A lot.  I go 10 feet down the hill, get a ski caught in the snow, fall over, dig myself out, get back up, and repeat over a dozen times.  I did not think I would need to use my powder skirt on my jacket today.  It would have kept the majority of the the snow out of my clothing.  Note the key phrase "would have".  I finally make it to the bottom, completely drenched in a combination of sweat and melted snow.  Note to self: No crazy shit on the first run.  This means DO NOT hop on the lift marked with a black diamond and "Expert only" as soon as I get to the hill.  I feel like I have made this note to myself before.  Maybe one day I will learn. 

I pull out my trail map again and try to pick a better lift.  I then notice that the trail labeling system is weird.  Usually there are green, blue, black, and double black runs.  Instead, they label their trails as green, blue, double blue, and black.  I would assume that black here translates into double black in the normal labeling convention. Great idea, do a double black run as a warm up run.  Anyway, I finally figure out the mountain more or less and make my way from one side to the other.  I had some pretty sweet runs.  I eventually worked my way up to (successfully) doing some black runs.

Squaw Valley
Around 4, I head to the truck.  I put my gear away and decide to check out the Village area.  It is mostly food places and snow sport gear shops.  I wander for a bit, get some gelato, eat it by a cute little fire thing they have set up, and decide to head back to my hotel. 

Relaxin!
I decide to go the other way back to my hotel, thus making a complete loop around the lake. I drive by a fire station on the way and decide to stop.  My uncle has asked me to collect patches from fire stations along the way for the kids of a firefighter he knew that died in December.  I head inside and find myself completely tongue tied and at a loss for words.  "uhhh um, hi, um, patches, uncle, Boston area, firefighter, Peabody, please? Ok, it was not that bad but that is how it felt.  They happily gave me a patch.  I get back on the road.  The sun has started to set and it is phenominal. And incredibly distracting.  I probably make 4 stops in random turn outs to take pictures. (in addition to the pictures I attempt to take without looking while driving).  I am driving on a narrow road with no guardrails and some substantial drop offs that lead down to the lake.  Will the sun please just get on with it and set and stop being so beautiful and distracting?  I cross from California to Nevada (please look at my map for reference :)  ) The road widens to 4 lanes and there is now guardrail. It is fascinating to see how two different states treat roads in the same area.  California has pretty constantly been narrow and lacking guardrail where I have been. However, as soon as I cross into Nevada, the road widens and guardrail magically appears.















I drive by another fire department and decide to stop there too.  I am much more eloquent this time.  However, they have no patches on hand.  The battalion chief ends up giving me his business card and asks me to e mail him. He thinks he can get one for me.  Sweet!  I drive a little further down the road and see a Safeway with a Wells Fargo. Sweet, I can buy cheese and transfer money to my friend to pay him for where I am currently staying.  (I am staying in his time share)  I am successful in both endeavors. I get back on the road again.  Good, the sun has finally set and it is dark.  Nothing to distract me now! 

I have to make a left turn soon so I drive in the left lane.  No one is in front of me or next to me and I am speeding a little. (not much because I can't tell if it is icy or not)  Some truck gets right on my ass.  I am not a fan of such behavior so I switch lanes.  He stays right where he was in relation to me.  He has absolutely no desire to pass me.  He just wants to drive on my ass for fun.  Ok buddy.  A few miles down the road, I end up switching lanes again (still in front of him) to make my turn.  People annoy me sometimes.

I make it back to my unit. I go to park.  One side of the parking lot is clear with the exception of one car that just started.  I decide to wait for them to leave so I will have more room to maneuver.  I wait.  And wait.  Ok, they don't want to leave.  So I spend a while going forwards and backwards trying to get my truck parked. In the process I block the other car in.  I kill the engine and the other car starts moving.  I tried to let you go first!  I get out and hear a voice "They made this parking lot for little VW bugs, huh?"  Awesome, I have had an audience for my park job.  "Yeah," I respond, "they made the parking lot for little cars but the road to it for big 4wd things."  We both laugh and he disappears. I head to my room.

It is time for dinner.  Chili with cheese this time.  The cheese makes it about a million times better.  I decide to head to the hot tub.  I change out of my snow gear and into my swimsuit. I grab my key and start walking.  I look up, the stars are amazing. It is so clear that I can actually see parts of the Milky Way and the dimmer stars. I get to the hot tub, put my stuff down and hop in.  I then realize I forgot a towel. Well, nothing I can do about it now.  Unfortunately, I can't enjoy the stars much since there is an extremely bright light on the area and steam all over.  I can see the brighter stars and find Orion and Taurus.  After about 20 minutes I have had all the hot water I can take and get out to deal with my lack of a towel issue.  I just put my clothes back on wet.  I don't bother with my shoes or coat and walk back to my room over icy patches.  It is a lot more slippery without shoes since my feet are warm enough to melt the ice a little. Well this has been a fun walk. I make it back and shower.  Which brings me to now! 

2 comments:

  1. As for "maybe one day I will learn" I find that reviewing the "notes to self" from time to time is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love the relaxing pic! I think a great coffee table book would be pics taken from that perspective, showing the different footwear always! Including nicely pedicured toes! (That one would obviously be on the beach!)

    ReplyDelete