Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I learn to solder

Even though I am half way decent at welding and have owned a soldering iron for a number of years, I have never really learned how to solder. The rare times I work with wiring, I have always just used electrical tape and twisted the wires together.

Anyway, the new truck is awesome
But has a few minor issues that bug me. One such issue is that the temperature/compass console does not work. I have researched the issue and found it is a common problem, especially in warm climates. Makes sense. Luckily, the fix is cheap and easy. If you know how to solder.

I conclude soldering can't be that hard so I pull my truck apart and find the circuit board that controls the console with no problem. I am good at taking truck interiors apart... Sure enough, the resistor that my research revealed as the culprit had completely popped off the circuit board. All i have to do is solder it back on and it will work. Supposedly.

I decide to go for it. Lets learn to solder on this truck piece that is 800 dollars to get a new one. My thinking is that it doesnt work anyway so why not. In hindsight, the "why not" argument would be "so i can take it to someone who actually knows what they are doing" but what would be the fun in that???

I spend about 30 minutes trying to get the damn thing reattached. The resistor itself is tiny. Maybe 1/8 inch by 1/4 inch. Just working with it is a pain. Needless to say, i melt part of the circuit board before finally getting it attached. It looks like shit. However, no one will ever see it. Im not too concerned about looks in this case as long as it works. Hopefully it wont break again and i will never see it again either.

Anyway, i pop it back in the truck and turn it on. Success! Except that i have no bearing. Instead of a letter, there is an 8. Uhhh ok. Weird. At least the thermometer is working.

I drive around a bit and realize that the 8 is supposed to be an s. oops. I guess i fried something important. Oh well. It gives the truck character and im just glad it works again :). And i kind of know how to solder! I would call that a success.


Photos!!!!: The circuit board and rogue resistor and my s disguised as an 8.




1 comment: