Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 67: Back to Breckenridge

It is amazingly quiet as I sleep. Almost too quiet. I am mildly concerned that zombies are going to come busting through the ground floor window in my room at any minute. Oh well. Hopefully I can handle a zombie attack. I have my chromolie pipe in my truck if needed and lots of pocket knives.

I eventually fall asleep. I sleep ok. Not awesome. At 7:30 when my alarm goes off, I am not excited to get up. I don’t know when Jason is leaving from Denver so I decided to get up and shower. I don’t want to smell like a smoking room all day long. I get out of the shower and check my phone. I have a text. Jason has just left. Sweet. Should time out perfectly. I pack up my stuff and throw it in my truck. Complimentary breakfast ends at 9. I am finished around 8:45. Perfect timing.

I wander out to the lobby in my ski gear and get some food. I watch the TV and play my rounds on words with friends as I eat. I get a text from Jason. “Ugh, forgot coat with pass in it at home, running back to get it.” Oops. At least you didn’t forget your ski boots or something. I have done that before. That sets things back a little bit. Oh well.

I finish breakfast and check out a little after nine. What to do…. I look for a radio shack. Chris, whom I will be staying with in Utah has requested that I bring him some speaker wire for his stereo. He lives in a super small town in the winter that has few amenities apparently. I have the time, let’s go look for it. I try to find a radio shack. No luck. I see a Wal Mart though. As much as I hate to shop there, they probably have what I am looking for. I go in and eventually find the speaker wire.

Hmmm. Almost 10 and I have not heard from Jason. What to do… I drive around a bit and find a marina. There is a nice overlook of what would be a lake. It is frozen and snow covered at the moment but still kind of pretty. I chill in the overlook for a few minutes before Jason calls. He is at the tunnel (a few miles out of town) and will be there soon. Ok! I head off to the ski resort. I will wait there.

I pull into the parking lot. It is $5 to park. Annoying but what can I do? Could be $35 like it is at some of the resorts around here. As I am putting my gear on, Jason pulls up behind me. Why hello, fancy meeting you here. It is like we planned this or something!  He complains about having to pay $10 to park. What?!!? I paid 5…. Some random people mention that it is spring break and thus holiday pricing, aka $10, unless you carpool. You get a discount if you carpool. Nope, I did not carpool. Just me. Sweet. I get suppose I got the hot girl discount… Too bad that only works when I am completely oblivious to the situation. I guess that is not a bad thing. Helps keep me down to earth I guess.

Truck in the parkin lot! :D
Anyway, we gar up and head to the gondola. We ride up the mountain. When we get to the lifts, it is packed!  Yay for spring break, I guess. We wander off to put on our skis/snowboard. Umm, where did my gloves go? I know I had them…. Jason watches my skies while I wander back to the gondola looking for them. I ask the attendant about them. “Um, hi, have you seen any gloves around? I think I left mine…”  He asks what the look like. Um, mostly black Burton AK gloves. He points to a bench. Yup, that is them. Thank you so much!!! I grab them and head back up. I get my skies on and we head to the lift line.

Almost 30 minutes later, we are finally on the lift. Jeeze, let’s stay away from this side of the mountain for a while. This is ridiculous. We do. This is a big resort and we find plenty of lifts with much shorter lines. We do what we always do and have random conversations about stuff, half of which are entirely sarcastic and just joking about random things. For instance, at one point, the lift passes a tree covered in bras. Jason asks me why I left my bra on the tree. Well, you see, this one time, I was having sex in the chair lift and I guess I just left it…. The poor guy riding with us did his best to pretend like we were not there for the rest of the ride. Oh dear, I guess strangers have a hard time picking up on my sarcastic tone. The good news is that if I ever meet him in “real life” he will not recognize me at all.

We do some runs with some terrain park stuff and some steep runs and all sorts of runs. We do a double black run that is in serious need of some snow. There are way more obstacles than I want to deal with. Ie, treesand bare patches all over the place on a fairly steep hill. I ask for some videos of me being cool and jumping and going fast. I also get a video of me skiing like I am a landshark. (Totally random… inspired by my newest entertaining random youtube video… look up landshark by jenna marbles if you really want to know)
Yeah, does this look fun? I couldn't see these until I was already half way down the hill :(
Toward the end of the day, we head to the top of the mountain. I have been trying to get here since I first came to Breckenridge, but it just has not happened. We have waited because the snow is less than ideal up top. Very wind blown and crusty. The lift ride up is very windy. I think the wind blow ice/snow chunks might have cut my face a little. Ow. Not to mention it is cold.

The somewhat painful lift ride is worth it though. The run is awesome!  It starts off as a double black and then flattens out a little. The snow turns out to be great. As I ski, I can see the huge tail of sprayed snow behind me. The conditions are perfect for this. I feel awesome. Too bad we got on the lift to the top 10 minutes before closing.
Riding along the ridge lookin for a sweet spot to drop into the bowl!
 
Lookin up at the bottom of the run!
We do a few more easy runs toward the bottom of the hill. They are kind of icy and not so fun. We decide to call it a day, only a little before the resort closes for the day. Not a bad day at all!  We ride the gondola back to the parking lot. I look down and see a guy riding his motorcycle down the mountain with a snowboard strapped to the back. I am not sure how the aerodynamics are going to affect his riding ability but that is awesome! Personally, if I see snow, I don't want to be on my bike. The roads are pretty consistently dry. And it is about 50 degrees out. We unload and I forget my gloves. Again. I run back and get them from the attendant before going too far this time.

We get back to the cars and de-gear. Jason has a friend who works in a photography shop in Breckenridge whom he has not seen in a while. We wander through the town looking for the shop…. And fail to find it. Oh well, we head back to the cars and set off toward Avon, where Jason’s timeshare is.

Avon is about 25 miles west of Breckenridge. We make it there in pretty good time. As he is checking in, I check my e mail. I have one from my new boss. They need me to fill out and send in more paper work ASAP to officialize my new job. Boo! It is not so easy to print out paperwork and find somewhere to scan/fax it. I ask at the desk and they send me to the conisiour. I ask about printing. Pleaseeee!! It is really kind of important!  They can’t let me open my own e mail account on their network but I can forward the e mail to them. Ok. That works. I send them the paperwork and finally get what I need. I will fill it out tonight and fax it tomorrow morning.

We go to move our cars into the parking garage. The clearance is pretty low… 6’7”. My truck will fit with inches to spare! I drive into the garage and my antenna gets caught on the roof. Yikes. Glad there is not a 6 inch lift on this thing. Well, I probably would not have bout a truck that lifted. That is just completely impractical!  Anyway, we park and bring all of our shit inside.

The room is a laid out weird. I am happy though since it is not a smoking room!  It might be laid out weird but it is pretty nice regardless. It is almost 6 at this point and I am unhappily hungry. I had a bagel for breakfast and peanuts for lunch while I was riding a chair lift.  It is well past dinner time!

We decide to take the bus to dinner so we can have some beer and no one has to worry about driving. Colorado has a ton of excellent microbreweries around. The bus leaves in half an hour. I find some hot chocolate in the room and make it. I end up trying to drink it way too fast so we can make it to the bus in time. Chugging hot drinks is a bad idea.

We ride the bus to dinner. We decide to eat in the Beaver Creek Village area. The ski areas in the general area are kind of notorious for being expensive but this is the most crazy. The road to the resort itself is gated. There are insanely expensive looking houses all over the road to the village. When we finally get to the village, we can see condos that are twice the size of where I actually live right next to the ski runs. Ridiculous!

We wander through the village to a restaurant that Jason suggested. 30 minute wait for a table. Eh, whatever. We go to the bar and have a few beers. Whew. Between not eating all day and being 10,000 feet above sea level, these are having quite the effect.

45 minutes later, we still have not gotten a table. We ask. They say 10 more minutes. Please hurry, I am hungry almost to the point of being unpleasant and Jason is not much better. A little later, our buzzer finally goes off!

We are seated. I look at the menu. Very hungry. I want a cheeseburger. Probably the biggest one they have. Jason says he will be very impressed if I actually eat the whole thing. Don’t doubt me. I am reallllyyyy hungry right now. We order our cheeseburgers and a pitcher of beer. Hey, no one is driving.

A little later, the food comes. Yayyy giant cheeseburger! I eat it all. Ugh for having so much fun that I don’t want to stop to buy extremely overpriced food for lunch. Oh well.  Jason is properly impressed.

Yayyy cheeseburger!
We head back to the bus stop. The last bus runs soon and we sure don’t want to walk the however many miles it is down the mountain and to the hotel. We wait for a bit and talk about random work stuff before the bus finally arrives. We make it back. Should we go to the hot tub? Sounds relaxing but Jason would rather sleep. Eh, fair enough. I would too. Except I need to write my blog entry before I forget all of the events of today!

We get back to the room. There is only one bed in the room. There is also a couch which we think is a fold out couch (I am leary of these after the last one) and a weird shelf thing that is a bed. We think. It is smaller than a twin bed but definitely has sheets on it… It is Jason’s timeshare so he of course gets the bed. He gives me my options. If everything else is horrible he says that as a last resort we can share the bed. Awww. It is so nice to have guy friends that just want to be friends and nothing else. Very very very nice.

Anyway, my initial assessment of the smaller than a twin bed ledge is that is will be quite suitable to sleep on. I have slept on way worse. I decide to shower tonight so I don’t have to mess with it tomorrow. I go to get in the shower. The supplied bar soap is weird. There is a hole in the middle. This is supposed to eliminate waste since people apparently throw away soap when it gets too small. It’s a good idea and all but I just see people using this soap and throwing it away when it becomes a small ring instead.. … nice try though.

WTF is up with this soap??
Anyway, we are skiing at Beaver Creek tomorrow. With that, I will have used my Epic Pass at every mountain for a total of 13 days. Not too damn bad. That is paying about $40 a day to ski. Day lift tickets are $80 to $120 at these places…. I am pretty pleased 

1 comment: