Sunday, March 25, 2012

The grand conclusion!

Day 76: The longest 40 miles I have ever driven


Well, I drove a lot more than 40 miles today. Just read. You will understand!

The Ramada turns out to be a pretty nice place to stay. Nothing fancy but the room has a kitchenette (not that we used it) and their continental breakfast includes homemade breakfast sandwiches that are delicious. It was a little loud during the night. I could hear semis engine braking occasionally and apparently some kids decided to have a party. The office guy later said he had to kick them out at 2 am. No fun.

Anyway, Papa wakes me up around 6. Ready to get up? Uhhh, no. Breakfast is not out yet anyway so he doesn’t try to hurry me. I get up shortly thereafter and shower. I then go to sink to fill my water bottle. I turn it on and fill it. Instead of turning it off, I turn it up all the way. Water jets out of the water bottle and all over me. Ugh. I change shirts. That is a little better.

My dad comes back inside. I don’t know exactly what he is doing outside. He comments that he is having a Canadian morning. Uhhh what?  Apparently everyone he has encountered has said “eh” numerous times. Ohhh. Haha. I go out and start up the truck. Oh it sounds happy to be awake and running at this cold and early hour.

We head off down the road. A few miles out of town, I realize I forgot to get gas. Oh, I have half a tank, I am sure we will see something. My “maintenance required” and tire pressure warning lights then come on. I have no idea what the symbol for the tire pressure light means so I panic a little. Dadddd get in the glove box and tell me what this means. We figure it out. Probably because it is cold out. Great. And thank you truck for telling me you need an oil change. I am quite aware. You will have to wait until I get home. All your stupid lights are just annoying me right now.

I try to reset the tire pressure light. No go. Apparently I have to fix the problem before I am allowed to turn off the light. Ughh. I’ll do it the next time I find a gas station. I consult Daniel. He finds a station 100 miles up the road. Hmm, should be able to make it there right as the gas light comes on. Ok, let’s go for it. I hate to backtrack.

As we drive, we see a buffalo chillin on the side of the road. Cool. We stop to take a picture. The camera battery is dead. Great. Well, I get a shot on my phone. So that is something.

I continue on the road. I come upon a truck pulling a trailer and pass it. Ok, good. Hopefully they will be nice should I run out of gas and will help us. I see a sign for gas. Yes! I pull out anddd they are closed for winter. Dammit. The truck and trailer pass us back. I get back on the road and go around them again. My gas light comes on before I expect it to. Shittt. This is going to be close. I know I have 3.5 gallons left when the light comes on. If I can do 15 mpg then that’s 45 more miles I can go. Daniel says 40 more miles…

I keep driving. It is mostly uphill. Well, there goes my mpg. Make that 10. This is wayyy closer than I want to cut it. At least there is someone closeish behind us…. My dad starts talking and I am stressed out and not in the mood to talk. Ehh, sorry Dad, a little worried right now!  Talk to me in half an hour when we have gas. I am just hoping that the place Daniel found is actually open. I don’t think they would have gas more than 100 miles apart on the highway even in the winter but…..

We make it!  I am really relieved. I run inside and give them my card. I need gas please!  I fill it up. The pump is in liters so I don’t know exactly how close we were to running out but the bill is over $100 so I know it is really close. The guys with the trailer pull up. They are friendly and I apologise for passing them so many times. They don’t mind and we chat a little.

I ask my dad to check my tires. I don’t have a tire pressure gauge for some reason. I know I had one in T Rex so I must have left it. I could really use it at the moment…. The gauge on the air hose says most of them are overinflated.  Weird, I would think they would be low since it is really cold and cold makes air less dense… We set it to the recommended pressure. The light stays on. Ughh!  Annoying. At least I have gas and the “check engine” light isn’t on too!

We head on down the road and soon encounter a whole heard of bison. Cool!  I pull off to the side of the road and we take some pictures. The camera battery has warmed up by now and the camera is functional. My dad gets out and takes some pictures.

Bison!!
For most of the day, the roads are pretty good. There are a few places where they get snowy but they are mostly dry and not too bumpy. Until we get near Whitehorse. The closer we get, the rougher the roads get. The truck is bouncing around all over. I mean, it is handling great, but it is definitely getting a workout! We hit Whitehorse. Oh my gosh, they have a stoplight! And chain restaurants! This place is huge! Most people suggested that we stay here. However, that leaves 700 miles to drive tomorrow. I am getting sick of driving. I am so sick of it that I actually let my Dad drive some today.  So 700 miles on the last day sounds terrible.

We continue on to Haines Junction, about 100 miles past Whitehorse. This should make tomorrow better!  The road is pretty awful. This is what I remember from the drive down. It is all frost heaved and has washed out places all over. At least it is still dry! I am hearing weird noises and can’t tell if it is the road (probably is) or my truck. I am concerned that the tire pressure is way too low. It has warmed up to where the temperatures were yesterday and my tire pressure light is still on. This concerns me a little. I will check it when we get gas…

By the time we pull into Haines Junction, I starting to lose it. I hadn’t realized it, but I am really tired and hungry. Heyy, I never really had lunch. Oops, I forgot…. Not to mention I am stressed out. All of my credit cards are almost maxed, my truck has all the stupid warning lights on, and I have realized all the stuff I need to do when I get back. I miss having no responsibilities!  I have to actually do stuff when I get back. I need to make a list.

I pick a motel. I had done some research before I left and found a place people said was cheap. There is not a whole lot of accurate data on hotel prices on this trip online so I have to go with reviews and such that may or may not be outdated. Well, the place is $80 a night. Cheapest we have stayed all trip so why not?  It also might be the only motel open in town in the winter… Oh wait, I think there is one other!!!  Anyway, I get the room and pretty much lose all motivation. Just want to sleeppp!!!

However, I want to get gas before tomorrow so I don’t forget again so we head to the gas station. I fill up. I want to check my tires but they have no air. My dad asks inside about air. The guy doesn’t think anywhere in town has air. Great. Oh well. I am sure we will find air somewhere. I hope. I am not excited about driving over a thousand miles in my nice almost brand new super expensive tires with them improperly inflated. What can I do right now though? I’ll deal with it as soon as I can!

As we leave, my dad starts asking about food. We were going to heat up some canned food but the room has no microwave. Uhh, I don’t know. Hot food is good. I guess. I just want to sleep. I just realized how exhausted I am and really don’t care. I am having a really hard time dealing with the stress caused by my truck tire pressure. Not a good sign insignificant things seem unmanageable…

We try a few places. One is closed for the winter, another has $30 entrees, and another closes at 8 (it is now 8:05). Ughh!!! I don’t care! I just want to sleep!!!! We finally find an open burger place. I wanted something more healthy (oddly) but oh well!  I get a burger. And a salad. Win win?  It is pretty good. I realize that part of my problem might be that I am hungry…. Oops. I let my dad know that I am exhausted and trying not to be unpleasant or anything but if I am, that is why. He says I am doing ok and that he would think I am quite exhausted. 

Anywayyyy, we pay and drive the whole quarter of a mile back to the hotel. I look out the window. The stars are starting to come out over the mountains. I missed northern mountains. We finally started to see some goo mountains about half way through today! Northern mountains are just more rugged than the southern Rockies. I mean, the whole top half of mountains up here is bare of trees and covered in rocks and snow. Most of the mountains down south are covered with trees most of the way to the top. The rocky top parts, if any, just seem more tame somehow. I don’t know how to explain it. I can’t wait to see my Alaskan mountains again!  

I get in bed and am hoping to be asleep by 10. I must say, I am really excited by the idea of sleeping in my own bed again!!! I really need to sleep so I won’t be a mess by the time I get home tomorrow!

Lucky to have good weather most of the way!


Day 77: 12340 miles and 1 ticket later…

Though he claims to not be a morning person, my dad is up at 6 and talkative. He is always talkative in the morning. He might deny it, but he is totally a morning person. At least subconsciously. I lay in bed, not excited to be up. We talk about airplanes and random stuff.

I finally get up and shower. I realized that I have now come full circle on my trip. I will be going back the same way I came. This is where I turned off to take the ferry last time! Kindaaa cool! I guess. Anyway, I come out of the bathroom and my dad is starting out the window. Oh nice! The sun is coming up and there is a beautiful Alpenglow going on! These mountains are so beautiful and rugged. Nothing against other mountains, but I think Northern mountains will forever be my definition of “mountains”.

There is no dryer in the room so I run out to my truck to get mine. It is below zero and my wet hair freezes. I decide that since I am freezing anyway I should take some pictures of the mountains. I do so and run inside and dry my hair while my dad checks out.

He comes back and my hair is dry enough. I go outside and start putting things in my truck. I start it up so it can start getting warm. Poor Arizona truck is probably freezing. I go back to the room and realize I have locked myself out. I bang on the door. No answer. Dammit! My dad must be in the bathroom. I am only wearing my hoodie so I bang on the door until he is done and gets it.

A short time later, we are on the road. Daniel puts us into Tok a little after noon. Not bad! The road is absolutely horrible, just as I remember. I don’t think I manage to launch my truck today luckily. We talk about stuff for most of the morning. My dad is definitely more talkative in the morning… yet he says he is not a morning person. I don’t buy it! 

A little before noon, we pass the Canadian border checkpoint. Sweet, 20 more miles to Alaska!  The road is better and I speed down it. Next thing I know I have red and blue lights in my window. Oh shit, those are probably for me since there is no one else around. I pull over. He spends a long time sitting in his cop SUV. I wonder if I got pulled over for speeding or for my license plate being completely covered in dirt and unreadable or both. A short time later, my question is answered.

Mr. Cop walks up to me and informs me that I was doing 120 in the 90 zone. He then translates that into SI units for me. Thank you, I am an engineer and can convert. Or, I can just look at my speedometer. My response? “Oh shit, sorry!”  Um yeah, great thing to say to the cop. I’m not sure why I said sorry actually. I am not really sure what I am sorry about. He takes my license and registration and disappears into his car for a while.

I probably should be upset or something by this. Honestly, I found the whole thing highly entertaining. I have come so far and have been speeding all over the US and Canada and on the last day I get caught. I am just hoping the ticket isn’t ridiculously expensive. He finally comes back with my paperwork and a nice Canadian ticket. He wrote me up for 110 and the ticket is $46. I am extremely happy. I ask him how I am supposed to pay it. He lets me know I can mail money to the address on the back or I can come to court in Whitehorse on May 12 if I want to plead not guilty. Well, it is going to cost way more to get to Whitehorse than to just pay the ticket so I head on my way.
Genuine Canadian speeding ticket....
I got the speed limit until I get back to Alaska. The lady at the border checkpoint is more strict than most. She asks a lot of questions and asks to see my truck registration. That is the first time I have had to pull that out at a checkpoint. Probably because my temp tag is completely unreadable at this point. Luckily, it is handy….. She finally waves us by.

We see a heard of caribou just before Tok. My dad is pretty excited. We have seen all the deer family with the exception of moose on the trip. He wouldn’t mind seeing something with paws but has been pleased with the wildlife viewing. 

We make it to Tok about on schedule, even with the unscheduled stop. I didn’t have breakfast so we stop at Fast Eddys for some lunch. We get a pizza which turns out to be pretty awesome. We stop at the gas station on the way out of town. They have air! My dad checks my tires again. It says they are still good… Why the hell is my light still on?!? Oh well.

Only 300 miles to home!  We take off down the Tok cutoff. I hit cruise control just above the speed limit so I don’t get too excited on the straight sections and get another ticket today. The Tok Cutoff has a lot of random gravel patches. I don’t remember this leaving. Then again, the roads were covered in snow when I left. While there is snow all over, the roads are still clear. I hardly use my 4wd all day again.

After making the turn onto the Glenn Highway, we see a moose! Sweet, we have now seen all of the northern deer family on the trip. My dad is pleased. We finally get to Glennallen. From here on, I am pretty familiar with the area. It is weird. I have been gone for a while but it seems like I just drove out yesterday. I always feel like that when I go back to a place that I know. I always feel like I never really left. In this case, I feel like the last 77 days didn’t really happen. I mean, obviously they did, but in the scheme of things……

Anyway, we make it into town without further ado. Anchorage is starting to get into spring. Early spring in Anchroage is gross. The snow is all brown and melted and the sand they have been putting all over the roads all winter for traction is making everything brownish grey. It is also overcast which makes it even more grey.

I take my dad home. I thank him for flying out last minute to do the drive with me. 3200 miles in 5 days alone with Daniel might have made me crazy. Even though I didn’t let him drive much, the peace of mind and company was awesome and probably somewhat necessary on my part.

I get home and walk in the door. I immediately receive a huge hug from my newest roommate, Theresa. Last time I saw her, she hated hugs. Sweet, I like this change of heart!  She helps me carry all of my shit in from my truck. Yay! Awesomeness! I then walk straight to my room and say hi to Chip. He looks at me and then ignores me. Ok ok, I did just abandon you for almost 3 months. But I left you in good hands! And I am back! He finally comes over to see me. He is glad I am back, even if he is pretending to be mad at me!

I spend the rest of the night unpacking and putting my stuff away. I catch up with Theresa, talk to my mom, and talk to some of my other friends on the phone. Meeting my mom for breakfast tomorrow and going skiing with Tanya and Ali! Not missing a beat here! 

I go through all of my mail. Ugh, scary!  I find my Honda car payment letter. Oh shittt, my first truck payment is due in April. Early April. The dealer had told me May. Luckily, I had saved some emergency cash for when I got back… This is majorly going to suck until I get paid and get my tax refund. Oh well, It will work out!!

By about 10, I have all of my clothes unpacked, have done laundry, and have the majority of my shit put away. Not too bad!  The only thing I really bought on the trip was shot glasses. Well, I got a shirt or two and my new coffee thermos. Oh, and a truck and a phone but those don’t count. I ask Theresa if she wants to help me unwrap them. And then apologize because I didn’t bring anything back for anyone. All people get is postcards from me! I figure that the thought that goes into a postcard would outweigh being brought stuff…?  Anyway, I tell her she is more than welcome to use my shot glasses anytime. She is excited to see what I picked out.

I am really quite excited to be in my own bed again, listening to chinchilla sounds as I fall asleep.

I suppose my grand adventure has come to an end. It has been more fun that I could have possibly imagined. The experience may not have been entirely life changing, but it has been umm, life reinforcing. If that makes any sense. Basically, I have come to the conclusion that my life philosophies that I have held have withstood this test and are probably on the right track. The experience was completely any worth and the financial not so awesome spot I have myself in at the moment. I probably would have always regretted not having done something like this. Well, and I will probably regret not doing something like this again someday.

Anyway, I will keep updating this blog. Sooo subscribe by e mail. Or follow me. Or just check back. Well, if you find what I have to say interesting J I will probably do some random reflections and thoughts about my trip on here that are more in depth than the last paragraph. And post random stories from my life as the happen and I feel that they are worth writing and sharing!  Thank you for reading. I appreciate it!!! 

By the way, I am going to try to get the trip portion of my blog published in a book. Like for real published and sold in book stores. Sooo if you really liked reading it, I would not mind some help editing in a few months soooo contact me! I guess. J



 I will put up a few more pictures later.... Check back in a bit!

1 comment:

  1. I love this paragraph starting with "By the time we pull into Haines Junction....." and ending with "I need to make a list."

    Also, thats a really pretty pic of the roadway.....

    ReplyDelete