Sunday, August 19, 2012

Ruger 44 Super Redhawk Alaskan Review

This isn't really a story of my normal blogging style. This is a review... that will hopefully help someone like me make a decision....

I am writing this in an attempt to help other people who are looking for a bear gun and are looking for reviews of 44s and somehow stumble across this site. Some background on my shooting experience:  I started shooting a few years ago. 90% of my shooting has been with my 10/22. I have shot a few of my friends' handguns of varying calibers, a few larger rifles, and a shotgun once or twice. I was certainly apprehensive about being able to comfortably shoot a 44. I was mildly concerned that my gun was going to go flying and hit me in the face or something... I am an average size female, generally considered to be pretty bad-ass and tough in attitude.

Anyway, as I am going to a bear infested area to work the next few weeks, and bearspray is a pain to ship and completely illegal to fly with at all, I ended up buying my first handgun. After a few weeks of asking everyone I could what their preference was for bear protection, I finally came upon the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. (specs here)  I was highly concerned that the ultra-compact size was going to make it completely unmanageable to shoot. I figured it would be a "shoot once a year just so I don't forget what to expect if I do actually have to use it" gun. I read a ton of reviews about it. Most of them said it was a manageable gun.I was skeptical since all of the reviews seemed to be from guys who shoot a lot of guns.

Anyway, so I take my new gun to the range to shoot. My mom also comes with a 357. I shoot the 357 a few times and remember that it is not the most pleasant gun ever to shoot. I apprehensively eye my 44 laying on the bench while feeling my wrist stinging a little from the few shots I just took with the 357. I guess I ought to shoot it; that is what I came for afterall.

I load up the gun with some 240 grain bullets. I cock the hammer, take a breath, and squeeze the trigger. The gun goes off and I hit the target. Not only do I hang on to the gun with ease, I am convinced that it feels better than the 357 I just shot. I shoot the next 5 rounds happily. I hit the target every time, 15 yards away. I take a short break and watch my mom shoot. I load up again and shoot 6 rapid shots. I only hit the target with one, but it doesn't feel bad at all. I put a total of 20 rounds through the gun. My wrist and arm are still feeling great by the time I am done. With the exception of the rapidly fired shots, all of my shots land on the target. I am not a bad shot, but I am by no means ready to go shoot in a competition or somthing. I can usually hit a shot gun shell with my .22 at 20 yards or so. (no scope)

Overall, I highly recommend this gun.  I am by no means an expert on guns, or all that experienced with guns at all. However, shooting this gun was fun. I didn't want to stop.  The recoil was not bad at all. I will have to try it again with higher grain bullets and see how that affects it. The accuracy was good as well. From what I have heard and read, I was concerned the shorter barrel was going to make it difficult to aim. This was not so at all. The grip felt good in my hand and the weight of the gun makes it feel incredibly solid. The trigger pull is smooth and I feel like this is a gun I will be using for the rest of my life. I would recommend this gun to anyone looking for a bear-defense gun. As a disclaimer, I can't compare it to other 44s as it is the only one I have shot.

EDIT: since the original post, I have shot the gun a bit and am still pleased with my purchase.  I got some 340 grain bullets for it and those make a huge difference. It is still manageable but just barely. My buddy that was with the range with me said it looked like it almost came out of my hand. (I had a pretty firm grip on it so that wouldn't happen) Definitely packs more of a punch. Also, I have taken this gun with me all over Alaska. (Chignik, Kodiak, Cooper Landing...)  Have not had to use it luckily. We were working on a beach near a salmon stream in Kodiak at dark so I brought the gun.  I (stupidly) left it in its holster after these outings and when I got home, it had a few surface rust spots on it from the saltwater.  I cleaned it up and oiled it really well and it's good as new now.

Also, when I carry this gun, I usually keep it in a galco holster and put it in the side pouch on my work backpack.  The backpack tends to get thrown around and somewhat abused.  Probably not great for my gun and should come up with a better way to keep it.  I am saying this because I broke the rear sight on the gun.  Funny thing is I was looking at the sight the day before I did that and thinking about how fragile it looks.  Anyway, I am going to replace it with a williams firesight.  It looks a little more sturdy than the original equipment.  Will update with results when I get it and use it some.  

I hope that someone finds this review helpful in making a decision on a 44 :)

target from my first outing. all 15 of my aimed shots hit :)

1 comment:

  1. Carry it in a chest rig. Might save your bacon someday.

    ReplyDelete