Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 33: Mesa Again

I decide to do some shopping and take care of the T Rex today. I wander downstairs and get some coffee. It is still really awesome even though Hanna insists that it is nothing special. I think it is Folgers or something pretty basic. Whatever, I love it.  I figure out where the mall is and where to take my truck. While looking for the mall, I discover that there is a Chick-fil-a in the mall. I am really really excited. It has been years since I have been to Chick-fil-a.  It is my favorite fast food place ever.

Hanna recommended Pepboys so I locate the nearest shop. I call Pepboys and ask if they do vehicle inspections. They do so I ask to make an appointment today. They don't do same day appointments but they take walk ins and are not too busy right now. All right! Off I go. I arrive and there is no office. I see a sign "Drive up for service". I drive up and park. I see a couple of guys sitting right next to my truck. They look at me but make no move to help me. What the hell?? I get out and ask them what is going on. They tell me someone else is coming. I look over and see a guy in a spiffy white shirt walking my way. Ok, got it! 

He asks what they can do for me. Uhh, I need to get my truck inspected? I don't know what exactly to ask for. I am a long way from home and need to get it back without breaking down. He sees my plate and understands. He asks if it has any particular problems. I mention a few noises it has been making and that it shakes when I brake. He tells me they will check it out and tells me it will be about an hour. I go inside the store part and locate a new headlight. I then wander through the entire store. Nope, don't need anything here. I get to the air fresheners. My truck has had some funny smells on this trip... so I decide to get one. I spend forever trying to decided on a brand and scent. I go with "fresh breeze". Sounds good? I check out and wait for them to finish with my truck.

15 minutes later the guy comes to find me. My truck is done and good to go! Nothing wrong with it that I did not already know about that they could find. The rotors are fine; there was just a lot of brake dust in the rear drums that was causing the shake. They cleaned that out for me and rotated my tires. Frikin sweet! Good work T Rex! I follow the guy to the register.We talk for a while about trucks and such. He prints out a receipt and gives me the paperwork. I never give him my card. I finally ask him if I need to pay or something. Nope! The inspection was free! Super cool. I get my keys and head off to the mall.

I get to the mall and immediately head to Chick-fil-a. I order a chicken sandwich with a huge ridiculous grin on my face. I continue grinning until I a get my food and sit down. Yup, it is just as good as I remember.

Yummm!!!! :D
I wander through the mall rather aimlessly. I don't really know what I am looking for. I kind of want some shorts and flip flops..... I end up finding some. And some pants and Nikes too. I really did not plan to spend that much money. And really should not be spending the money either. Boo. As I walk through the mall some guy asks if I want to take a paid survey. "No, thanks. I don't like money" as I walk by. Ok, that is totally not true but I am getting tired of people trying to sell me stuff and take their surveys and whatever. Time to get out of here. I stop at the grocery store on the way back to Hanna's to get some food. She is being super nice and has been feeding me. Sooo I get my own food and some to replace what I ate of hers. Super exciting. As I drive back, I notice the surrounding landscape for the first time. It is beautiful!  Huge rock formations surround the town. I don't even know what to call them. Not mountains or hills. Definitely hill size but they are just giant rocks. Very southwestern looking.

I get back. As I get out of my truck, a little girl sees me. "Oh! you scared me. I thought you didn't get home until later."  Uhhh, I don't live here. I am just visiting. I go inside and put all my stuff down. I head back out to change my headlight. As I finish, the little girl comes back and asks me if I own the house. No, I don't. Just visiting! She talks to me for a long time. Very outgoing first grader. She talks about her favorite sport, tether ball, and her friends and 1st grade drama. Oh, how I do not miss elementary school. She talks until one of her friends shows up to distract her from talking to me. Little kids are cute and can be so entertaining. When they are not being annoying.

I grab a book and go and sit in the backyard and read. The sunset is pretty, though I can't really find a good place to watch it. Hanna shows up and wants to know if I want to go to dinner. Sounds good to me! We go to a local brewpub. Their beer is pretty darned good as is their chicken parmigiana. Very good dinner and so nice to be hanging out with her again! Unfortunately, she is tired and hungry. I am so not envious of her dental school thing. 8 to 5 every weekday, and almost all of that time is lectures. And she has a bunch of tests this week. Sooo not fun. I do not miss school at all.

Sunset!

1 comment: