Wednesday, March 13, 2013

More Cooper Landing fun!

As the Cooper Landing project goes on, I learn ever more exciting things about work, traveling, gear choice, myself, and life in general....


-Xtratuffs make poor hiking shoes.  Something about a lack of tread and ankle support....

-Properly torquing the rod is important; a 5 hour delay may occur otherwise which involves pulling all equipment out of the hole and re-drilling it.

-I need more warm socks.  I brought all 5 I own to my month long job...  Socks should probably be changed more often than that. (ew??? Im not trying to impress anyone here though...)

-when typing the word "experience" make sure you don't accidentally type "sexperience" and post is on an online forum.  You will get made fun of. (not related to this project but it happened during this time...) 

-When driving down an icy hill with huge bumps at the bottom, go EXTRA SLOW.  Brakes don't work well on ice and the work truck isn't set up with long travel suspension...

-riding a 4 wheeler 1-handed and bringing coffee to a site is easy.  Riding a snowmachine 1-handed down a super rutted trail is a huge pain in the ass.  And is probably dangerous.

-Attempting the above bullet results in a 50% loss of coffee and a 10% increase in the wetness of my clothing....

-When putting the snowmachine key in your pocket, make sure it actually goes in your pocket.  The ground is not a good place to keep the key.

-I am horrible at picking locks.  However, I locked myself out of my cabin and somehow magically jiggled the lock open with my knife in about 5 seconds.  After grabbing the key and trying it again, I was completely unsuccessful.

-Apparently this is the only field job going on right now and office people are bored.  In one week, I have had 4 visitors to the side.

-Don't leave your hardhat unattended upside down under a snowy tree.  It won't be empty when you get back

-HWT casing makes a really melodic tone when whacked repeatedly with a hammer

-When post holing through waist deep snow,  Xtra tuffs keep the snow out a lot better if they are not folded down...

-The bear proof trash can is easier to figure out when its not dark, you're not in your pajamas, and you aren't freezing your ass off

-Make sure you know which gas cans have gas and which ones have diesel. When in doubt, ask the person that filled them up

-Have more than one color of flagging with you.  Sometimes, other people have been in the middle of no where forest with flagging the same color as yours.  It confuses people.  Multiple colors is best. If you must only have one color, orange is a poor choice since everyone else seems to use it too.

-Cell phone reception is awesome at the site.  Somehow.  I even get internet.


Don't worry... there will be more :D

No comments:

Post a Comment