Thursday, May 17, 2012

My dirtbike has Issues :*(

Those of you who know me probably know that I have put my dirtbike through  a figurative watery hell. Twice. I am impressed that the poor thing still runs.

Anyway, when I say that, I mean that I laid the thing over due to incompetence in a river and seized the engine once. I took the engine to Yamaha and completely accidentally (really, I wasn't trying to. Or it would not have worked) used my awesome hot girl powers to get it fixed. Super super cheap. I then took the bike out again and dropped it in the water. Again. This time I shut off the engine before I got it seized. It had some issues so I rebuilt the carburetor and lo and behold it ran better than ever!

Anyway, that was before I started working in construction all summer. Working in construction in Alaska=working 7 days a week. No life in the summer really. So my bike sat in the garage with the fluids in it (shoulda drained those....) for years.

Last summer I went to pull it out and discovered my front brake was havin issues. Damn... I want to start riding again so I decided to try and fix that.  Well, let's see if it starts first. I kick it and it fires up pretty well. I put it in gear and it goes... and goes... pulling in the clutch does not release the flywheel and make the engine stop pulling like it should.. and I have no front brake. The rear brake is not doing much at all. Shittt... Oh right, engine kill switch. I get the bike off and do some research on the newest problem.

Well, I put cheap oil in it last time I changed it because I really just needed to drain the old stuff out that had gotten mixed with water and flush the thing. I should have drained the new shit I put in because it has now practically glued my clutch assembly together. Well, that is the best I can figure as to what its problem is. It was fine last summer and I have not touched it since.

Anyway, so my list of stuff to do to get it running is growing. The good news is that I don't think there is anything else to go wrong with it... the back brake is new, the engine was just repaired, and the carburetor was just rebuilt. So when I fix the clutch and front brake, I should be in business!  I hope....

No comments:

Post a Comment