Thursday, April 12, 2012

New Adventures: Alaskan Travels

As many of you know, I recently took a new job which will involve some travel throughout Alaska. I am just beginning my first foray into Alaska and figured I should share :)

As an almost completely brand new Geologist for the State of Alaska, my boss is trying to get me used to traveling in Alaska and get me trained. Lucky for him I learn fast and this seems to be going pretty well. Anyway, my first assignment involves little work on my end. I am accompanying a consultant-run drill team on the Chevak runway project. Basically, I am getting sent out to Chevak for the weekend to observe and learn and figure out how to work in remote places in Alaska. This particular job is especially good since there is going to be the installation of temperature recording canisters which I need to learn how to work with but we don't use often, as I understand it.

Anyway, to avoid 3 am flights, I am traveling to Chevak in two days, even though I will only be flying for a total of about 3 hours from Anchorage to Chevak. So I am staying the night in Bethal, which is apparently the "hub" to many western Alaska villages.

Anyway, my adventure begins this morning. I have spent the last few days in "wilderness first aid and survival" class. Today is the last day of this. I spend the day learning about cleaning wounds, how to survive falling in cold water, how to wrap up hypothermic people, and how to remove embedded fishooks. Basically people, you want me to come on all your awesome trips you are taking this summer for sagety reasons! ;)  Don't even ask me the secret to painlessly removing fishooks. I won't tell you... you are just gonna have to bring me on your fishing trips :)

At about 2, I leave the class a little early to head to the airport. The plane leaves at 5 and my boss wants me to get there in plenty of time. I pack the rest of my stuff and get to the airport around 3.

Okkk yay for being early.... now I have 2 hours to kill... I read my book and wait patiently. Cool, the plane leaves from concourse A.... I worked on this project last summer.  Looks like it holding up well, sweet!  A lady walks by on the phone "yeah, it's like 36 degrees in Anchorage..."  Um no, lady, it is closer to 50. This is practically summer time!  I am amused.

I read and wait some more before finally boarding the plane. I get on and am asked by the flight crew member (I can't remember his official title...my pilot friends would be dissappointed in me...) asks me to please sit in the front of the plane for weight reasons. Oh, it's going to be one of those flights. Myself and the two other people on the flight board. The crew goes through their checks and then asks us to please get off the plane. They have to call maintenance, but it will only be a few minutes. Ummm great?

The three of us go back into the terminal. 10 minutes later, we get called to board again. Well I hope nothing was actually wrong... that was really fast to fix it if there was anything... The plane fires up. It is really noisy. Note to self: bring earplugs on the plane. I would rather not completely lose my hearing.....

We have an unevenful trip twoish hour flight. I read my book and check the window occasionally. Interesting. Mountains, flat, mountains, flat with rivers, mountains, other physical features, flat, oh hey, we are landing already!

We land and I get off the plane. Uhhh, where do I go?  I pick a building and start walking... seems like the right one. I go inside and there are people and a tiny little garage door for the baggage claim. The other passengers follow me. Good, either I am going to the right place or they are lost too... A few minutes later, my bag and action packer appear. Ok, right one!

Now for getting a taxi.... I hope there is one sitting there... I have no phone numbers to call. I guess I could ask. I only have 80 pounds of gear to lug around. Walking all over sounds great! Luckily, I walk out the door and there is a cab sitting right there. The driver loads up my stuff for me and we head off. One of the guys from my flight is in the cab too. He asks me a few questions. Have I been to Bethal before, where do I live, what am I doing here.... The usual. We talk for a short bit and then he gets dropped off.

I continue on a short ways to the B&B I am staying at. The driver unloads my gear and drops me at the office. Ok, action packer, you are big and awkward, you are staying outside. Please don't walk off with anyone..... I go in the door and there is nothing there, just more doors. Uhhh. I read the signs. "B&B office up stairs." I pick that door and lug my laptop case and other bag up the stairs. I get to the top and am in what appears to be someone's house. I have never actually stayed at a B&B before so I don't know what to expect. "Uhhh, hello?" A man wanders over to a counter and helps me.

He checks me in and gives me info on cabs and other pertinent things. I leave and head to my room, lugging all my crap with me. This is going to suck when I actually have work tools I need to bring in addition to all my clothes and gear I need in general.... I open te door to the building. Great... more stairs! I take two trips. Stupid awkward sized action packer.... My room is pretty nice. Apparently it has the best view in town.  I don't know if I would say that since I have nothing to compare it to but it does have a nice view of the river (which is frozen and covered in snow) and the tundra beyond.  It is fun to watch the snomachiners go by. And, at 9ish, the sun is starting to set and the lighting on the snow looks really cool!  Too bad I did not bring my camera (stupid to forget! It is more or less indesctuctable and I have had it long enough that should I somehow lose it I won't be too heartbroken... It has been a good and faithful camera for many years) or my phone (intentional... would rather not lose or destroy in the middle of no where) I do have a work camera but I am kind of saving that for work.. ya know?

Anyway, I go into the room. It is completely covered in coat hooks. I count 26 different coat hook hangers and a few other wall hangings which purpose I can not determine though they kind of look like modified coat hooks.... Well, I guess I won't be lacking for a space to hang every article of clothing I brought... and my sleeping bag! 

Anyway, I wander down the street and get some dinner. My coworker told me there is a pretty good place just down the road. I find it without too much problem. It isn't too bad. I walk back to my room and pick a coat hook for my coat. All right, time for some reading and bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment